20 Jun 2013

The New Game

The New Game

We’ve passed GO so many times
that the bank has stopped paying out
and we live on IOUs.
We can’t even take a rest
in Jail any more:
it’s been wiped off the board.

They’ve built a new wall
which goes round the sides
so you can’t call Pax
and step out.
I tried once, I did. Honest Injun!
I threw a brick through a shop window
and stole some coloured crayons
but they just smiled kindly at me and said that they understood
and that I would grow out of it.
I felt like asking them
what they understood.
I don’t like being understood,
not all the time.

By the next day
they had installed
another window in the shop
and the manager had forgotten who I was.
They didn’t even make me give the crayons back.

I’m determined to be anti-social
but  it gets so boring after a while
cos nobody takes any notice.

The Prime Minister plays silly buggers
in Primrose Street; it doesn’t matter –
the country seems to run itself
like a giant clockwork toy.
I wonder who turns the key.
Perhaps we could take over,
wind it up too far
and break the spring.

Anyway,
who suggested this fucking game in the first place
and why can’t we stop it?

No comments:

Post a Comment